||| MALAYSIA GENOME AND VACCINE INSTITUTE |||
- Medium Term Goal: Implementation of technology- and market-driven innovation projects for the generation of new knowledge and intellectual properties in genomics and molecular biology for the development of biotechnology
- Long Term Goal: A major player in the national biotechnology innovation ecosystem for economic development
Prof Madya Dr. Mohd Ghows Bin Mohd Azzam
Implementing the National Biotechnology Policy via genomics and molecular biology research for development of home-grown technologies in selected niches of industrial and healthcare biotechnology.
The institute started its operation as a humble interim laboratory in 2002 known as “Makmal Genomik BioValley” to provide research infrastructure for the 8th Malaysia Plan for National Biotechnology Agenda led by the Biotechnology Cooperative Centres (BCCs). The lab gradually grew to be inaugurated as the National Biotechnology Institutes in 2005 and was officially named the Malaysia Genome and Vaccine Institute with its primary aim to lead, coordinate and implement the national biotechnology agenda through research, development, innovation and commercialization (RDIC) activities.
Now transformed into a Company Limited by Guarantee (CLG) (976431-X), maintaining its non-profit organization status under the purview of the then Ministry of Science and Technology (MOSTI) to expand its roles, managed by the National Institutes of Biotechnology Malaysia (NIBM) officially in January 2012. This establishment uplifts GENOME AND VACCINE INSTITUTE as a hub for enhancing cutting-edge genomics and molecular biology research with its state-of-the-art research platforms.
Continuously devoted to strengthening its research pursuits and envisions to become partners with every national research institutions and industries as well as public and private universities through research engagements and supporting research needs in diverse areas via its technology platforms that include:
- Genomics Facility – high-throughput sequencing and genomic research.
- Bioinformatics – Genome Informatics and Structural Bioinformatics
- Protein Expression and Purification Facility– expression and purification of prokaryotic and eukaryotic recombinant proteins
- The BioRepository Centre (BIORP)
- Proteomics and Metabolomics Facility – high and low resolution mass spectrometry
- Structural Biology and Biophysics Facility INSTITUTES
Malaysia Genome and Vaccine Institute (MGVI)
National Institute of Biotechnolgy Malaysia (NIBM)
Jalan Bangi, 43000 Kajang,