Accreditation means that we have been assessed against internationally recognised standards and operate to the highest levels of quality and service.
NIBM provide testing and laboratory services. Our company has a modern well-equipped laboratories which is accredited in accordance to the internationally recognised Standard and a complement of highly trained specialists and technologists to meet your laboratory testing, research and development needs.Our company’s clients include governmental and international organisations, muultinational corporations and industrial and manufacturing companies.
The section’s primary goal is to assist researchers requiring instrumentation and expertise in Fermentation Technology for protein (recombinant or native), biomass and chemical production. Our services range from PCR, construction of expression systems to fermentation optimisation. Researchers can access to our facilities through contract research or rental, for both research and pilot-scale studies.
Producing protein/biomass/chemical from 2 to 20 litres of microbial cultures under controlled conditions.
INFORS Multitron Shaking Incubators
Incubating and shaking or agitating samples. Ideal for cell culture, cell aeration and solubility experiments.
SARTORIUS Crossflow Filtration Unit
For large-scale cell harvesting as well as to concentrate extracellular proteins.
EPPENDORF 5810R Centrifuge
Separating components of a liquid.
IKA T25 Ultra Turrax Homogenizer
Dispersing device that can be used for homogenizing, emulsifying and suspending of various samples.
BRANSON Digital Sonifier
Disrupting cells, bacteria, spores, or tissue, and ideal for initiating and accelerating chemical, biochemical, and physical reactions, as well as for de-gassing liquids.
● Molecular cloning (PCR, construction of bacterial & yeast expression systems)
● Protein / Biomass / Chemical production (up to 20 litres per run)
● Facility Rental
● PEB Lab Attachment
● PEB Individual / Group Training
The section offers a range of techniques for identification, characterization and quantification of proteins, peptides and metabolites. The facility is equipped with a high-resolution mass spectrometer and advanced data analysis software.
- nanoLC coupled with Orbitrap Fusion (LCMS/MS)
- UHPLC coupled with Single Quadrupole Detector (SQD)
DATA ANALYSIS SOFTWARE
- Proteome Discoverer for Identification & Quantification Analysis
- MarkerLynx and MetaboLynx for Metabolite & Biomarker Analysis
- DeNovoGUI for De Novo peptide sequencing
- QuanLynx for Quantitative Analysis
- Protein has to be cut enzymatically into smaller peptides before the LCMS/MS analysis.
- Mixture of Trypsin-LysC enzyme is used to digest the protein.
- The digestion process can be performed either in-solution or in-gel.
- Digested peptides are analysed using the on-line reversed phase nanoLC coupled with Orbitrap Fusion.
- The data analysis software is used to search the acquired MS/MS spectra to identify the proteins. The software will confirm the identified protein and the post-translational modifications if present.
Relative Protein Quantification
- Proteins expression in different samples treatment can be compared relatively using an isotope labeling or label-free approach.
- The data analysis software is used to generate a peak area (intensity) of identified protein for a statistical analysis.
De Novo Peptide Sequencing
- Peptide of interest in the range of 10-15 amino acids can be sequenced using mass spectrometer.
- Sequencing service includes pre-acquisition prior to mass spectrometer and possible sequence will be confirmed by fragmentation data (MS/MS).
The Metabolomic service is equipped with a single quadrupole detector mass spectrometry coupled with UHPLC to separate and detect a targeted molecular mass. This equipment is an easy way to generate an extra dimension of information from the separation and capable of generating fast result molecular mass though direct sample injection. The services we offer are:
- Analysis of known compound or targeted compounds based on molecular mass
- Nominal mass determination
- Peak purity and impurity profiling
- Syntheses confirmation
- Mass-based peak of interest molecule identification
- Quantitative Analysis
- Direct Infuse Mass Spectrometry (DIMS)
The STS provides researchers a complete genomics solution using Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) and Sanger Technology platforms. The facility can cater projects for whole genome sequencing (WGS), transcriptome sequencing, targeted sequencing, and metagenomic sequencing.
|Illumina MiSeq® System||Next Generation Sequencer|
|Applied Biosystems 3730XL Genetic Analyzer||Capillary-based Sequencer and Fragment Analyzer|
|Agilent 2100 Bioanalyzer||Chip-based capillary electrophoresis system|
|Roche LightCycler® 480||Real time PCR|
|Covaris M220||Focused ultrasonicator for DNA fragmentation|
|Nanodrop 1000||UV-Vis spectrophotometer for quantity and quality assessment of nucleic acids and protein|
|Qubit™ fluorometer||Fluorometric spectrophotometer for nucleic acids quantification|
|DNA Engine Tetrad® 2||Thermal cycler|
● Whole Genome Sequencing
● Transcriptome Sequencing
● Targeted Sequencing (amplicon-based)
● Whole Metagenomics Sequencing Package (inclusive of DNA extraction, library preparation, sequencing and data analysis)
The SBB is equipped with technologies for high-resolution structural studies of macromolecules, biomolecular interaction studies, and biophysical characterizations. We offer options for these services to be done as contract research or through facility access to researchers to suit their needs.
NMR 700 MHz Bruker
Determine structures of biomolecules & metabolomics analysis
ARI Liquid Handling System - Phoenix & Gryphon
Dispense nano-sized volume of liquid for crystallization screening
X-Ray Diffractometer Rigaku
Analyse structures of macromolecules at high resolution
Nanodrop Spectrophotometer Thermo
Determine absorbance of nano-sized volume biological samples
AKTA Explorer GE Healthcare
Purify macromolecules for multiple purification steps
AKTA Xpress GE Healthcare
Purify macromolecules for high-throughput multiple purification steps
AKTA Purifier Amersham Pharmacia
Purify macromolecules using simple purification steps
AKTA Avant 150 GE Healthcare
Purify macromolecules in controlled environment for advanced purification steps
High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) Agilent
Identify, quantify and purify mixtures of compounds analytically
Separate and identify chemical mixtures
Low Volume Nano Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (Nano-ITC), TA Instrument
Provide information on binding and kinetics using thermodynamic approach. Requires low volume sample (200-300ul)
Biacore X 100, GE Healthcare
Study binding and kinetics affinity through surface plasmon resonance for drug screening and development of biosensor.
Circular Dichroism, JASCO J 815
Collect spectra for any optically active chiral sample (Application: Secondary structure estimation, binding study, thermal denaturation analysis, chirality study for small molecule).
Fluorescence Spectrophotometer, Agilent
Analyse fluorescence (Applications: Assay development, drug stability, binding and interaction).
UV/Vis Spectrometer, Shimadzu
Measure absorption light across desired optical range. Application: Sample quantification & biochemical assays
Olympus Microscope with LINKAM Cryostage
Analyse thermal hysteresis (formation of ice crystals), important for antifreeze protein/ peptide study.
● Protein purification and characterization
● Protein crystal screening and data collection
● Biophysical characterization and molecular interactions
● 1D, 2D, 3D NMR experiments
● NMR-based metabolomics analysis
The GCB provides computing support for large-scale bioinformatics - genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and integration analyses. Our bioinformatics scientists specialize in various areas including RNA expression, comparative genomics, molecular dynamics and structural studies, with years of experience in their respective sub-fields.
- SGI UV 2000
- SGI Infinite Storage 5500
● Genome Assembly and Annotation
● Structural Modeling
● SNP Calling
● Transcriptome and Differential Expression Analysis
● Metagenomics Analysis
● Miscellaneous Sequence Analyses
● Researcher Attachment (Access to GCB facilities)
● Individual & Group Training
The GBS is a biorepository facility designated to store and manage biospecimens. We optimally store samples in a controlled access room consisting of 8 units of Ultralow -80°C Freezers and 9 units of -20°C Freezers with round-the-clock monitoring. We serve clients from both research communities and industrial partners.
- Ultralow -80 °C Freezers
- -20 °C Freezers
- Integrated Temperature Monitoring System
● Long-term biospecimens storage for cells (bacteria, yeast, fungi), genetic vectors (DNA & RNA), and proteins.
● Freezer rentals for biospecimens.
The SBC provides solutions in research and services using advanced molecular biology approaches. Our long-term purpose includes development of novel biotechnology processes for the production of biochemicals, biomaterials, and bioenergy.
● Site-directed mutagenesis
● Genomic modification
● Vector constructio
The TRPD offers services targeted towards lab-to-market transition efforts, including contract research, product analysis and consultation, and prototype development. Our clients come from diverse backgrounds inclusive of research communities, universities, companies, individuals, and industrial players.
- Mammalian cell culture facility
- TECAN Microplate Reader
- CFX96 Touch qPCR
- Contract Research
• Development of biosensors based on customer’s target of choice
• Mammalian cell-based study
• Antioxidant property determination
• Metabolite profiling
• DNA, RNA, PCR qualitative and quantitative assays
• Customized research based on customer’s needs
- Product Analysis & Consultation
• Material Profile Data Sheet development
• Stingless bee and bee farming strategy
• Pilot-scale cosmetic product formulation and production
• Product packaging and design consultation
- Prototype Development
• Translation of in-house research output
• Electrochemical based detection biosensor development
• Project continuation from Contract Research or Product Analysis and Consultation
- Cellular Biology Lab
- Bioreactor and Propagation Lab
- Phycology Lab
- Plant Tissue Culture Lab
- Plant Transformation Lab
- Histology and Cryobiology Lab
- Genomic Lab
- Transcriptomics Lab
- Proteomics Lab
- Aquaculture Biotechnology Lab
- Animal Procedure Lab
- Cryobiology Lab
- Genetic & Cell Biology Lab
- Microbial Technology Lab
- Cell Culture Lab
- Microscopy Lab
- Food Processing & Engineering Lab
- Functional Food Lab
- Chromatography Lab
- Food Safety Lab (Microbiology)
- Food Analysis Lab
- Food Safety Lab ( Chemical & Toxicology)
- Product Development Lab
IPharm is the first Malaysian institution to be awarded two international certifications i.e. the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Good Laboratory Practice (OECD-GLP) and the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) in the Animal Care and Use Program. All laboratory activities within the facility are implemented at internationally recognised standards of quality, and hence the preclinical studies conducted are acceptable worldwide.
The laboratories are specifically designed to serve particular functions for animal research and studies, including the animal holding room, Specific Pathogen-Free (SPF) rodent breeding room, surgical room, procedure room, Animal Biosafety Level 2 (ABSL 2) laboratory, quarantine room and necropsy room.
Specialised equipment for motor activity and behavioral studies such as the Rotarod System, Grip Strength System, Multi-purpose Activity Monitoring System and Startle Response Monitoring System are also available.
The facility is equipped with individually ventilated cages (IVC) GM500 & GR900, which is a worldwide recognized IVC standard that provides the best performance in terms of protection, ergonomics and density for toxicity, feeding and clinical studies. This IVC is a patented cage for its design, consisting of a soft silicone gasket that protrudes radially all around the cage base rim. The perfect sealing is simply achieved by placing the top of the cage body, through the radial interference between gasket and cage top. Therefore, the vertical compression (commonly provided by the use of latches) of the silicone gasket between cage base and top is not required to obtain the best ergonomics, excellent containment and high protection.
Zebrafish (Dania rerio) are rapidly gaining popularity as the biomedical research subject because of the easy maintenance and large number of offspring production. Additionally, the embryos have a nearly transparent skin, making their development easily visible and imageable. These fish are used for a variety of disciplines, including neuroscience, genetics and aging studies.
Research has shown that 70% of protein-coding human genes are related to genes found in the zebrafish, and 84% of genes known to be associated with human disease have a zebrafish counterpart. Since many of the genes and critical pathways are highly conserved between human and zebrafish, this makes the zebrafish a good disease model in drug discovery research.
Automated fish tank systems with monitoring features such as automated maintenance reminder are available in IPharm. Up to 20 individual tanks can be accommodated in one standalone system.
Caenorhabditis elegans is a non-hazardous free-living nematode. It is widely used in research laboratory since it shares many essential biological characteristics that are central problems of human biology. C. elegans undergoes a complex process of development in embryogenesis, morphogenesis, growth and development, including nerve function, behaviour as well as aging.
Our facility is completely equipped with the necessary culturing and research facilities, specifically the cool incubator, light stereomicroscope and fluorescence stereomicroscope with precise 3D macro-to-micro viewing.
The High Throughput Screening (HTS) and High Content Screening (HCS) platforms provide multiplexed and automated screening technology to handle large amount of samples. The HTS system leverages automation to quickly assay massive biochemical activities of drug-like compounds while HCS provides deeper insights into the cells biological systems by using sophisticated imaging technique and powerful analysis software.
We offer our research partners access to these cutting edge facilities to perform:
● Customised automated and high-throughput assays such as ELISA, enzymatic assays, in vitro protein-protein interactions, antigen-antibody interactions.
● Customised automated high-resolution and large capacity microscopy of capturing cell images to enable probing complex signaling mechanisms, elucidating molecular function, studying cell behaviour, and correlating multiple events and markers against the same physiological background.
The laboratory is fully equipped with basic cell culture needs such as the biosafety cabinet Class II, carbon dioxide (CO2) incubator, inverted phase contrast microscope, water bath and micropipettes. The laboratory is also equipped with HEPA filter to ensure a good environmental control in preventing contamination.
To identify the presence of a specific protein in a mixture of proteins extracted from cells or organisms. In short, some essential steps are conducted which involve protein separation according to molecular weight, followed by protein transfer to a membrane and marking of the target protein using primary and secondary antibodies for visualisation.
Brand/Model : BIO RAD Trans-blot Turbo, Invitrogen/iBlot
Personal training to conduct western blot experiment
This is an automated compound storage facility which offers robust storage for plant chemical samples. All samples are barcoded, hence easily tracked and logged. Its pneumatics capability enable user to cherry pick on those samples that are required for analysis. This can eliminate unnecessary partial thawing, ensuring the integrity of samples remaining in the storage. It can store up to 100, 000 samples in -20°C environment.
Brand/Model : TTP Labtech's comPOUND®
Function: Storage for plant crude extracts, partitions, fractions, and isolated compounds in the form of 1.4ml barcoded tube/0.5ml barcoded tubes
Potential clients either from local universities or other agencies can come to us with their research findings. We will work together to develop a pharmaceutical dosage form prototype for registration or notification purpose. The client has the option of becoming the Licensed Product Holder and appoints IPharm-NIBM GMP Plant as their contract manufacturing partner.
The plant is designed to manufacture non-sterile products including cosmetics, traditional medicines, health supplements, over the counter (OTC) or non-poison pharmaceuticals & ethical pharmaceuticals (poison/controlled medicines). This is subjected to GMP certification approval from the National Pharmaceutical Regulatory Agency, Ministry of Health, Malaysia.